Saturday, May 28, 2011

Passport, Maps, Boots, Sports coat... Iodine???

It's amazing how things of minutia, of the most trivial detail, start to actually matter and actually provide some insight as to what the trip is all about.

1) Passport - I am going to test the bounds of the 6 month limitation of the "passport must be valid 6 months past date of entry" and am hoping I'm not left standing on the tarmac.  I will say that I've grown very fond of this particular passport as it has tracked me through my multiple visits to Japan, to China, to Europe for my 10th wedding anniversary...  Maybe its fitting that this is its last hurrah...

2) Maps - lots of maps, and I'll be turning one of them into an interactive guide of our experiences.  Seriously, for any of you who know me, would you expect any less?  For those who don't know me, I'm a map guy, love maps, think they are the coolest thing since Columbus (and am pretty sure he felt the same way).

3) Boots - The job I've volunteered for during the two full days we will be in the Sendai area require boots.  And that is exactly what I was hoping for.  I'll be out in the field with the Japanese Emergency NGO, specifically in Ishinomaki.  We had several options to choose from, including a tour that will allow some of our group to make a more immediate economic impact to the area (we hope).  Here is what we had the opportunity to choose from:

Please select the volunteer project you would prefer to participate in.

4) Sports coat - I'm still not sure of what the reaction is here in stateside as I've seen many who warmly and vigorously support what we are doing and others who question the motives and wonder if the timing isn't just quite right.  But if the activities on the other side of the pond are any indication, the world-renowned Japanese hospitality is going to be on overdrive.  From a welcome by the US Ambassador to Japan to a reception at Fuji TV (who originally produced the Oregon Kara Ai television series that made Oregon so well known to a generation of Japanese) to a more formal dinner and reception at the Oregon Bar and Grill (yes, you can get Rogue beer in Japan!) we are going to keep our jeans and boots packed away.  I should also mention that we will have some more formal moments in Sendai as well which I will relate later through this blog.

5) Iodine...  Oh yes, so there is this little problem with some nuclear reactors in the near vicinity...  And so one day, I look upon my desk, and sitting there is a bottle, complete with eye-dropper integrated top, of liquid iodine.  This was not something that I had thought of or had any real concern over.  And I still don't.  But I will pack this gift, an obvious manifestation of someone's concern for my well being, and for that I am grateful.  To be clear, our activity is clearly out of the zone and any volunteer activities actually take us further from the Fukushima nuclear plants.  Now if I had plans to visit Minamisoma, that might change things, but for now, I have a lot of faith in my personal safety and just want to focus on those who have lost a little faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment